Nick Pope worked at the United Kingdom Ministry of Defense. He's undertaken a series of jobs within the Department, including work in the Joint Operations Centre during the Gulf War, where he was a briefer in the Air Force Operations Room. He was involved in work on the crises in Bosnia and Kosovo. He was a Senior Executive Officer, which is a civilian grade equivalent to the military rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He left the employ of the MoD in 2006 and now does private research.
Between 1991 and 1994, Nick was posted to a division called Secretariat (Air Staff) and given the job of researching and investigating the UFO phenomenon, mirroring the work done in the U.S. by the Air Force's Project Blue Book in the 1960's. Although many of the cases could be explained as misidentifications of known objects and phenomena, a hard core of sightings defied any conventional explanation. Strong evidence emerged suggesting the presence of structured craft capable of speeds and maneuvers beyond the capability of even the most advanced prototype craft operated by the Royal Air Force or the United States Air Force.
Nick Pope's unique access to new data and previous government files convinced him the UFO phenomenon raised serious defense and national security issues. There were numerous instances where UFOs had been tracked on radar, leading to jets being scrambled. There were also cases with terrifying near-misses between UFOs and civilian aircraft. All this led him to believe that an extraterrestrial explanation for some sightings could not be ruled out.
His official investigations into UFOs drew him into other mysteries such as alien abductions, crop circles and cattle mutilations. Upon leaving the Ministry's UFO project (which continues), he continued his research and investigations privately and is now recognized as a leading researcher into both governmental and phenomenological aspects of the extraterrestrial controversy.
In this presentation Nick Pope is joined by Major Milton Torres (USAF, ret.)
Major Milton Torres has stated about his aerial UFO encounter as a USAF Pilot on lone to the UK's Royal Air Force: "The one I chased didn't follow classic Newtonian mechanics. It made a right turn almost on a dime," he tells De Void from his home in Kendall, Fla. "The (Royal Air Force radar) scope had a range of 250 miles. And after two sweeps, which took two seconds, it was gone. And I was flying almost at Mach 1, at .92."
Major Milton Torres (USAF, ret.) broke a 51-year silence in October 2009, about his potentially lethal UFO scramble. The British Ministry of Defense had just released another batch of declassified UFO files through its National Archives, and one of the most stunning cases occurred on April 27, 1957. That's when an unnamed Pilot with the American 406th Fighter Wing operating out of RAF Manston in Kent was dispatched with specific orders to blast a UFO out of the late-night sky.
Torres, now 77, promptly stepped forward and spoke out about being the Pilot assigned to shoot it down. Climbing to 32,000 feet in his F-86 Sabrejet along with a wingman, Torres couldn't see the bogey, but he got a strong radar lock-on some 15 miles out. With just seconds to go before closing to within missile range, things got freaky. The blip on his scope flashed to a 6 o'clock position, then 3 o'clock, then 12 o'clock, and 11 o'clock. Then it was gone. Ground control lost it, too.
Back on the deck, Torres says he was bullied by a member of the U.S. National Security Agency, and told that if he breathed a word of what happened - even to his own commander, his flying days were over. He never spoke about the encounter again, until now.
Find the declassified paper regarding this case and others like it from the UK government national archive site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos/existing-files.htm